Friday, May 21, 2010

ChiRunning?

Have you heard all the buzz about ChiRunning?

USA Today did an article on it recently, and I'm curious about it. It's basically a way of running that uses gravity and core muscles to transform running technique and avoid injuries. I've been experiencing some ankle pain and a lingering Achilles soreness, so it caught my attention. Founder Danny Dreyer says that humans through the ages have run with no shoes or minimalist shoes, and that our current shoes actually contribute to injury by restricting the foot and causing more impact to the knees, hip and heel. His technique focuses on hitting mid-foot instead of heel-toe. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll see if I can get the gist of it next time we head out. Why not, right?

Here's a short video of him explaining the technique.


2 comments:

  1. I have heard of this and have you seen the shoes that are like gloves for the feet? I want to hear more positive things about them first before giving them a try.

    I don't think now is the time to change my running style... next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'm ready to take the plunge into those glove-shoes yet, either. ... And this weekend is your race!! I'm excited for you - I can't wait to hear how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete